Tips on staging your home for sale
Some people say that preparing your home for sale is like putting on a production with each room looking like a stage set which appeals to as wide an audience as possible. Although a perfectly presented house may not necessarily achieve a higher price, it may well sell more quickly.Here are some of our suggestions for showing your home off to its best.
- Look at your home through fresh ideas. Walk round and make a list of everything that could be removed, updated or replaced. Consider how it looks from the buyer’s perspective.
- Get a second opinion from a friend with an eye for design and an honest point of view.
- List everything which might put doubt in a buyer’s mind, such as unfinished decorating and ill-fitting cupboard doors.
- De-clutter and de-personalise. Pack away distracting collections of personal items and unnecessary pieces of furniture which make a room look smaller than it is.
- Avoid placing suitcases and boxes on top of wardrobes – a warning sign that the house lack storage space!
- Pay attention to kitchens and bathrooms as these are the most influential rooms in a home.
- Put a fresh coat of paint on tired looking walls and ceilings. You might consider toning down any strong coloured walls which may not appeal to everyone’s taste.
- Finally, give the whole house a thorough clean from top to bottom and banish any unwanted smells.